INTRO! HUMAN RIGHTS IN LATIN AMERICA Human Rights are those basic political, economic, and social rights that all human beings are entitled to, such as the right to life, liberty, and the security of person, and a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family. The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights defines these rights are inalienable, however that does not stop governments and individuals from infringing upon many of these basic human liberties.
Unfortunately, human rights violations are still occurring today, not only in places in the world far away, but throughout all of Latin America, right on our doorstep. Today and tomorrow, you will research some of these issues.
With specific regard to LATIN AMERICA, you WILL consider human rights violations surrounding the following issues: (PICK ONE- YOUR CHOICE)
Ø The gap between the rich and poor/ the treatment of the poor
Ø The treatment of indigenous people (Native Americans) and other minorities (Blacks)
Ø The availability or lack thereof of education
Ø Government Corruption(police brutality/ torture also here) Ø Humans rights violations surrounding drug trafficking and narco- terrorism
Ø The treatment of women (could be sex trafficking, domestic/ sex assault/ access to family planning) Ø The treatment of LGBTQ persons Ø Immigration detention and consequences of the illegal movement of individuals (Mexico/ Guatemala/ Honduras)
Ø The treatment of religious minorities (mainly non-Catholics)
Ø The treatment of political dissenters in Cuba or Venezuela (freedom of speech/ protest) OBJECTIVE You and your classmates will create a MULTIMEDIA PRESENTATION advocating for a group of Latin Americans that suffers from human rights violations and present your findings to the class.
More specifically, you and your group members are very concerned about a specific human rights violation. Your PRESENTATION will advocate for, or represent, the interests and needs of a group that faces human rights discrimination in contemporary Latin America.
PROCESS 1. You will work in groups of 2 to complete the task (see below).
2. You will receive one grade for the completion of your own task and a group grade for the final google doc/oral presentation. All group members are therefore expected to work together in a collaborative and cooperative manner.
3. You will use the“Public Policy Analyst” format. (SEE BELOW). START WITH THIS FIRST FOR YOUR BACKGROUND INFORMATION
4. Your group must pick ONE specific Latin American countryto research.
5. Each group will complete a Google Doc presentation. This will contain graphics, pictures, graphs, charts and reports that illustrate/display all 6 steps of the Public Policy Analyst format.
6. Your Multimedia Presentation must be completed using in a formal format and style. Therefore, it must be attractive, capture the attention of the viewer and be informative. A minimum of 8 images are necessary. INCLUDE A MAP OF THE AREA, STATISTICS OF THE ISSUE IN CHARTS/ GRAPHS
7. Oral Presentation: Your group will give an oral presentation to the class in which you act as advocates for your researched group. The multimedia tool (google) will be used in this presentation. The presentation must be a minimum of 5 minutes and must capture the attention of the audience
By the end of this project, you and your partner should gain a greater understanding of a contemporary social problem that affects a specific Latin American country. In doing this, you will gain greater cultural understandings and be able to draw parallels between what you’ve learned and researched in Current Issues with your other academic subjects (Spanish Class/ History?) . In the end, you will be able to present a public policy that, if adopted, could help alleviate some of effects of the specific human rights violation that you researched.